Monday, March 10, 2008

Loads More "BS"


I was logging in to my email yesterday and I noticed a news post on AOL news titled Eight “Racist” Games; I had to stop and read it. After reading the short post asking you what you think about these games it displays a slideshow of screen shots from the raciest games. Upon seeing the screen shots, I was not surprised to see Grand Theft Auto-Vice City by Rockstar on this list. the above picture depicts our charecter Tommy Verceti with a shotgun next to a croup of Cubans, perfactly harmless because Tommy is helping them at the presant time.

Of course this game franchise is no stranger to controversy with the antics of the main character in the GTA games. The post pokes fun at the fact that in the game your character is given a mission to kill all the Haitian gang members. The post apparently raised some questions in New York with the Haitian Centers Council and Haitian Americans for Human Rights group. Ill bet, out there is a news article complaining about a mission in the game to kill all the Cuban gang members. The game even has an all white biker gang and of course it’s your mission to kill them, but you don’t hear about the biker gang being offended.

I must say I am not for racism, I do admit that I’m a little racist but most of you people out there are a little racist. I find this to be an outrage considering the makers of the game the Rockstar Company responded that the game is based in a time when those gangs existed and were known to brawl with each other on a regular basis much like in the game. Seeing as how the music, clothes, cars and cityscapes all have the design and feel of that time period, this argument should have died along time ago.

My opinion is that bureaucratic politicians haven’t noticed anything in the news about games in a while so they started something. It’s possible that some one was offended. Let us think about the game Medal of Honor: European Assault, do we have to apologize to the Nazi’s for in the game, killing them to save Germany as U.S. Army Lieutenant William Holt. Personally I think not but hay it’s your choice. I didn’t think so, and yes I noticed the characters’ name too when I first played the game.
The picture provided by gameSpot.com

No comments: