Monday, March 10, 2008

Do Blogs Have a Purpose?


Blogging is a very creative form of self expression that can be read and commented on by others. College students, young adults, and people around the world like to blog: blogging gives people a place to talk and rant about personal interactions they have had. In some way each of us as humans needs to rant, or get stuff off our chests every now and then, and in some cases there just isn’t anyone around who wants to listen. Internet sites devoted to blogging like Myspace, Technorati, and Blogger are needed now more than before, when all we wrote our thoughts in was journals. Many people keep a journal or diary of their interactions for sharing and discussion, but no one is there to read or comment on them. For me specifically I feel good knowing I have spread word about a game I played and I also enjoy hearing back about others exploits with that game. I believe that blogging is a simplified form of gossip, if you want to talk or hear about certain topics just use the search function, it’s that simple.

Blogging is a great tool that can be mastered by anyone willing to just sit down and type. My reasons for blogging are mostly to explain to others what I think about certain issues, or facts. Instead of verbally discussing the topic, witch in my case causes people to wander away or tune out; with the search function of blogging people can choose to skip my blog post. In a way blogging keeps me from wasting my friend’s time with useless chatter that they don’t care about. Blogging also helps to reduce the amount of uncomfortable interactions with people who just do not know what I’m talking about or do not understand. Most of the people I hang out with do listen to what I say; there are just a lot of subjects they don’t care to hear about. By displaying my topic of discussion as games with the blog post, using the search function people who do not want to talk about games will not see my page.

Blogging, as I described to “my mom” the other day, is a form of self expression and discussion of topics over various aspects of our lives. I also told her, imagine if she had a journal of her thoughts that she wanted to get some advice on them but still keep her secrets secret. Well with blogging instead of verbally telling people and having to explain oneself afterwards, bloggers can be anonymous to the general public. I took a break from blogging on MySpace a while back and now that I am back, it feels good to know some people out there care. Blogging for me has picked up in the past quarter at OSU; due to the assignments in my English class I started blogging weekly. Just as I was beginning to hate having the extra assignment I felt a need to discuss more after hearing others positive interest in my blog. Though I use blogging to rant about video games, its primary use for me is to alert others of exciting news or services the video game community has to discuss.

Blogging just like most of what people find on the internet depends on the search term. People like me would be looking at video game, and movie blogs for information on upcoming movie and game releases. My blog on Blogger is like a journal of video games and current information that I see fit to disperse among the public. And it makes me feel good to hear others appreciate my knowledge. I like to hang out with my friends; unfortunately they are not geeks like me so I refrain from talking about geeky subjects, such as video games and Star Wars. Just recently I was struck with the idea that I had to comment on the movie trailer I had just seen at that time. Though my assignment was to blog about video games I chose to blog about the upcoming movie Iron Man. So I guess what I’m getting at is that I blog because some times I just feel like sharing what I think about new and what’s exciting to me news, and blogging helps.

Myspace-www.myspace.com
Blogger-www.blogger.com
Technorati-www.technorati.com
Gamefaqs-www.gamefaqs.com

No comments: